Thursday, December 6, 2012

Let it Snow!!

By far, the biggest news in this part of the world is our snowfall, because this simply isn't done around here! Today 2 of my brothers share a birthday on Pearl Harbor day (or, that's when it'll be in a few American hours). So, it's somehow poetic--sort of--that nature has delivered another unique way to remember. I had no idea this was going on outside until nearly noon! Busy correcting papers (I teach from 2-9:30 pm), and watching computer generated TV, a Facebook post finally got me to look outside!! I'm waiting now to find out if we'll get a "snow day"--I hope so! Last day of middle-school students' final exams should warrant a snow day, don't you think? I know, if the issue was put to a popular vote, there'd be question. A cancellation would be inevitable in our forecast. We'll see! Don't know exactly why I want school to cancel, because I enjoy my job. But, I'm sleepy and would rather stay home to wrap presents, take a nap, and draw. I took the first photo earlier. It's much deeper now--I'll attach another when it stops!
YAHOO!! Most schools are ending early or canceling and that includes JC Academy! The kids have got to be so thrilled! Most of them write about the joys of snow fights and making snow men, but never get to do either around here. The snowfall appears to have ended, too! So, a walk is in order before hunkering back down to the original snow day plan. This type of winter view might not come along again, and I should see more than what's visible from my balcony.
So here's a bit of the view. Elementary school students everywhere are out inspecting the white stuff and making snowballs--even a few adults!
Snowmen are being formed from every large patch of snow, before wetter precipitation melts it all away! And some of my favorite sites are extra charming:
Like this rooftop behind my apartment, or this one across the street:
I'm sure the Buddhist temples look even more lovely, but I've already wandered around long enough, looking for charming little items to send home for the holidays and grocery shopping. I'm in the mood for more hot cocoa and sketching polar bears and pixies. Enjoy the season, whatever it brings!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting to get snow there! I was never fortunate enough to have more than a dusting. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It was unbelievable to look out and see fat flakes fill the air and coat the roads and cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! What a great way to start the Season - and to wish Mark & Dan a Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete