Saturday, January 12, 2013

Toys, Joys and Educational Ploys

At first she wouldn't touch it. Many of the girls shrieked when they saw the new toy I brought, the first of a suitcase full, sent from my dear, oldest brother Tom. This thing is squishy, bulgy, and tentacled. A week ago it was a bright fluorescent yellow color and I'm sooooo very happy Tom sent 3 of these; the other 2 are purple and orange. It's been laughed over, fought for, stretched, squeezed, probed, thrown, and coveted since I brought it to class. All I did was tape an "X" on the white board, pull out the ball and have student throw the thing at it--AFTER they'd memorized and/or recited what they needed to. Since it doesn't feel or respond like a normal ball, the X is difficult to hit, so cheers abound when someone succeeds; and everyone, EVERYONE wanted to get their hands on the "alien" ball!
It was winter break for them. So, like me, no one really wanted to be in school, including our private academy. They were freed from public school, but still had to attend hagwon--private school. Some even had to take extra study courses during the "break." Missing my own son, sick, and overly tired...I struggled to have patience, since I didn't really want to be there either. Jordan was back in the U.S. with most of my family, still celebrating Christmas, and a dear Uncle passed away at the conclusion of December--it was really hard for me to be in Korea for a little while. But, that crazy ball had everyone laughing hysterically and forgetting about the fact that we were in a classroom!
What's this got to do with speaking English? More than you might think. As I mentioned, more than the usual number of my students were down right sullen the week before, resisting the need to learn the "fun, grammatically relevant" English story I'd compiled and illustrated. Some refused to put forth the effort to memorize or stand up and recite a thing.
As soon as the ball came out, however, all boredom disappeared, along with inhibitions. In order to get a shot at handling the strange new toy, even the quietest students participated with more zest than usual. Quite simply, laughter, curiosity and enthusiasm over the ball pulled everyone outside of themselves and led to full class participation and some of the all-time best recitals I've seen.
Which just goes to prove the old adage--laughter really is the best medicine. Thanks again, Tom!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing the toys that are so simple give the greatest pleasure. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete