Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spring's Sprung in Sacheon

YES--it rhymes, so now you know how to say the name of my little city!  Like any self-respecting month of March, the temperatures vacillate dramatically, from 20's over night (Fahrenheit) to upper 50's, even close to 70 during the day.  So, I bought a jump rope to celebrate 
in between reciting lines in English class. 
These kids can JUMP!!  The highest score was over 300, inside a class room with far from perfect conditions.  Of course, this couldn't last--too much jumping, not enough speaking, but the students loved it while it lasted. 
Also, I have students who come in early to hang out and play dodgeball. Using the squishy, stretchy ball my brother sent for Christmas is perfect, because no one gets hurt.  It's fun--the class that comes in early the most regularly has all boys and one girl.  She's become "one of the guys" in the past few weeks.  I love these kids--they come in and turn my room into a playground while I continue to prep for class, but as soon as the bell rings, they sit down and open their books--
a real dream team!
Meanwhile, outside the Cherry blossoms are bursting forth everywhere.   
Parks, fields, ancient roof tops, and the city scape are 
laced over with fresh pale greens, pink, yellow and white.
While bare tree limbs still dominate Sacheon's loveliest park, evergreens, tile roofs and ponds take my breath away with their added luster of Spring.
I hear this doesn't last.  Soon it'll be hot and muggy, so Mr. Lee has planned a "picnic" (aka: day trip) for our school's staff this coming Saturday.  We'll be visiting an old city, famous for its blossoms, among other things.  We have fun together and I'm glad to be healthy and ready to go!  Mr. Lee has embraced the season further, by adding new tables and chairs, 
along with this tree to our school's foyer!
Jordan and I saw a tree like this in a darling little restaurant next to the bus terminal this past Christmas. It's constructed with a real tree trunk and branches, with silk leaves and stems attached so skillfully it's difficult to discern where real ends and artificial begins.  
The lights you see are reflected recessed lighting on the ceiling, not the tree.  
Fittingly, we planned our picnic on these tables and around this tree. 

I'm taking longer walks more regularly again; and we had a lesson on "Doga."  New to me, it combines classic Yoga with exercising one's dog; and I found myself missing Gideon again.  A neighbor in Maryland decided he was the most beautiful dog she'd ever seen and gave me this composite of great photos of the best dog that ever lived.  I was lucky enough to have him around for 12 years...

However, one class of middle-school boys reminds me an awful lot of over-grown pups.
  
Well--I waited unsuccessfully for the little video to finish processing and had to give up again. 
Too bad.  I'll post it on Facebook instead.

Here's some other eggheads to fill the gap.

With Easter next week and a school outing on Saturday, I used glitter glue, sharpies, lace (thanks, Marji) and paint to liven up these brown, hard boiled dears.  Happy Easter in advance, in case I can't get to this!  Eat a dark-chocolate bunny and some jelly beans for us over here!

2 comments:

  1. Joanna, hurry up and send me your mailing address so I can send you a dark-chocolate bunny before it's too hot to mail such delicacies! Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute eggs! So pretty over there! Those creative juices must be overflowing. By the way, I had inspiration one night about a line of children's books based on Ty and Mimi's experiences. I thought about calling it Teeter & Tot, the adventures of. I was just trying to think of what to do to remember all the cute funny things they did as little children. Love ya and miss ya, Sandy

    ReplyDelete