Friday, May 17, 2013

Buddha's Birthday

Heads up--this blog has nothing to do with Buddha. 
I just haven't written for awhile--too much drama.  With the hurried, unorthodox trip to Utah, dealing with renter issues at home and..., well, I've just been too bogged down with coping emails to write for a blog.  It's not my style to journal here, tho I've no problem with those who do.  I figure everyone has traumatizing issues without adding mine to their reading list.  

Since today is a holiday, though, I have a free space to play catch up!

Korea continues to charm and enrich my artistic sensibilities, sating my curious appetite and love of all things eclectic. I tell my students I think it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and mean it.  I'm trying to photograph and share a few favorites, like this lady.  She makes the best Kimchi Bokumbap around.  Erin Burk introduced me to this place and I've shared the tiny store's cuisine with a Korean and American friend recently, and my son, during his Christmas visit.  
She remembers me now, when I walk in!
The restaurant with the bold, tacky, bright red exterior is owned by friendly folk who make great Mandu and fresh Gimbap, along with all kinds of noodle dishes.  My friend, Erin Burk, introduced me to it right after I got here last year.  Erin, you should consider being a tour guide.
Isn't this fun?  It's on one of the busiest shopping streets near my home, 
but I took the photo early in the morning to get a clear view.  
Next you can see one of the entrances to Sacheon's open air market;
it's one of my favorite places to wander.  
See the blue arch?  I've posted photos from inside before.
 I buy fruit regularly from this little street side vendor, unless Top Mart or Woori Mart beat out his prices.  This guy's set up right near the bus terminal and sells steamed fish-stuff on a stick 
and sweet-bean bread things during winter.  
He keeps a pretty steady flow of customers; but I just like the fruit.
Like organized clutter?  Who doesn't on some level?!  Were it not so, Harry Potter movies wouldn't thrive!  Hardware stores around here fascinate me--they're stuffed full like this.  I always peer in as I pass, and need to venture in soon to replace a shower part.  Want to bring along the part to do the talking for me, but I also want to take my time and revel in the moment!  This isn't the store closest to my apartment, but with all of its wares exposed like this, it's a better illustration of the inner contents.
really and truly have always loved entrances to small, old alleys and hovels.  It's a life long love affair. I fumed with irritation as a devout Catholic kid of St. Peter's parochial school, because they hurried us along through tours of famous old cathedrals in Baltimore and DC.  I wanted to wander up every flight of stairs, kneel and light candles, peek into each nook dedicated to a saint. So, I'm trying to capture a few favorite glimpses into the life and worlds of semi-hidden, 
but every day sights around here, like this one.
Then there's this alley behind the modern building where my Church meets--these type of roads/walkways are woven throughout the city, in between and around the main, heavily trafficked roads.  They're surrounded by ancient, still-in-use structures, speaking to me of time gone by...sometimes I wander onto one of these, just to see where it goes, 
but trying not to intrude on anyone's privacy.
Mother's day was fulfilled by spending time with my kid (the one I gave birth to).  He is awesome and graduating from Boston University with an MFA in Screen Writing this week!! 
I've been bragging about him all week long to each of my classes. 
Since we both flew into Utah the same week, Jordan and I got to hang out.
I went for a job interview and he was a groomsman for a wedding.  Lovely serendipity, since at the conclusion of most days (in the wee hours of the morning), 
I got to hear about and watch him fall in love.  
Yeah, I can say that, since he posted it on Facebook.
The stunning girl with the orange sweater in the back and middle is Karli; Jordan, the lucky guy next to her, is my "kid."  The couple to their left were the bride and groom-to-be.  Slight change of plans, wedding was postponed for a few days. But Facebook confirms they tied the knot right after we both flew thousands of miles away.  Ha!  I know and love pretty much everyone in this photo and look forward to having another dinner party at my Utah home.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanna - keep sharing pics and write-ups ... luv luv luv to read of your adventures and see the energy and joy you capture in various photos. Happy Mothers Day to you once again - cuz you shared of Jordan and his 'lucky' new girlfriend. All the very best to you and yours. Karen Mc

    ReplyDelete