Sunday, August 11, 2013

Final Days in Oz

Mr. Lee presented me with the most gorgeous, small jewelry box this week as a farewell gift.  I gasped like a little girl.  Since my photos won't do it justice,
I want to publicly thank him.  
This is Mr. Lee holding the gift, along with Kelly, 
the head teacher and most devoted administrative assistant on the planet.
Ok, since I cannot upload videos to my blog, consider checking out the singing of my church leader posted on Facebook.  Branch Pres. Lee Jin Man sang to me and repeated the performance when I asked him to, while his wife did some crazy dance off to the side!!  I couldn't get a repeat of that, but I did get a bit of the delightful argument which ensued between her and her husband!  
You can check out Lee Jin Man's song here (cut/paste in browser):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201440353067197&saved

 Seriously, I wish I could post videos on my blog!  There must be a way.  Besides the song and dance, Pak Tae Won and He Bom did a piano/recorder duet of
"I Need Thee Every Hour"
and I got some fun little clips through out the week.  
But today was fantastic and here's the farewell dinner after Church--FUN & YUM. 
I've been fighting tears all week, with roller-coaster emotions of frustrating highs and lows.  
Too tired to do this blog.  Oh, and we have a welcome addition to our area--2 sister missionaries!  
We visited for about 2 hours, I adore them already.  They'll be here 
to help and watch over people I care about!
It's been SUCH A WEEK, too important to ignore, so here goes just a few cameos.
Kim Soon Ii and her son are a couple of my favorite people.  She owns the orchard I've helped in a few times and told me she has this dream, similar to my own, of spending a year at a time in many different countries and then come home for a year between each international experience.  I LOVE this woman; and her son is one of the most promising young men, other than my own, I know.  
That's a major connection between Kim Soon Ii and I--we have these great sons.
Speaking of whom, had a nice long video chat w/Jordan concerning his engagement trip and party in Seattle, and the coming plans for his and Karli's September 28th wedding.  This photo's one of my favorites--Karli has such a fantastic smile!  Looks like Jordan agrees in this photo, 
don't you think?  I can't wait to spend more time with you, Karli!
However, my own house in Midvale is still "haunted" and, well, there's that.  I find myself looking around and thinking, I have a decent job here and a nice, cozy apartment--why am I leaving again?  Then I look at my son and Karli photos, remember all the things I need/want to do 
and remember why I'm parting with kids like these--for now. 
Choke down tears and buy them ice cream.  Here's "Nicholas"--wish I could adopt him!
The ice cream runs became the proverbial snowball rolling out-of-control, 
because once I started (and it began w/a group of middle school boys I don't even like--just wanted to end on a slightly sweeter note), I couldn't very well stop! 
 I just lowered the spending limit to about 4-500 won (40 cents or so).  
No complaints--it's HOT outside!
Morning walks have been long because I can't get enough photos, free saunas, or soak in enough beauty.  I've even recorded some of my songs with this scenery, just for fun.  Out of breath, the vocals aren't so hot, but the views are! Got up early enough to see this sunrise on Saturday.  We're in something of a drought here, mid-90 temps, but something like 110 % humidity.  
Whatever it is, it outstrips the humidity I'm familiar with in Maryland.
But, oh how gorgeous it all is!!
From awe inspiring silhouettes to lush greenery and flowers, I wish I could 
share the sounds and scents of what accompanies me on these walks.
Farmers arise early because of the heat and go to work on laundry.
They lay out harvested crops to dry, water fields and spray for bugs--
I have to wave away swarms of mosquitos during part of the walk.
I can't figure out what these are.  But I see them growing, being cut down, and drying everywhere.
Nor can I figure out what this is--it looks like a peeled big, white radish?
Ok, that's it for now.  I'm hoping to squeeze in one more blog of my fellow teachers, replacement teacher, etc., before I fly out on Wednesday.  Jordan will be picking me up, and then I'll stay w/my wonderful brother, Tom, and his equally delightful wife, 
Marji, for a bit while we sort through and seek resolution to chaos.
Nothing feels real right now....

7 comments:

  1. "Change has a twin. It's called Pain" (Lorin Wheelwright). You'll make it, Joanna, even though it's hard and you're leaving beautiful people in a beautiful place. Can't wait to welcome you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you going home and then I don't. Wish I could see you before you go! Enjoy the wedding! Xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really wish I could hop over to Japan too!! Stick around and maybe next year...? xooxox back at ya!

      Delete
  3. I am so happy you were able to have such an amazing experience. One day I hope to do the same. What a marvelous experience! Look forward to seeing you. Zack is making serious progress. hooray! I know you'll cheer with me.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, Kathy, that's the best news of this day! Wonderful! Feel free to email details anytime!

      Delete
  4. It was awesome to have met you Joanna! Looking forward to keeping in touch!

    DragonDon
    http://eyagee.WordPress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your vacation is going well? Loved spending time w/Bharati and you and definitely, let's keep in touch!!

      Delete