Sunday, August 4, 2013

Packing up and so forth...

Ok, the weather here, I have to make a note of it.  Every day there's a possibility of rain in the forecast.   But, instead of rain, the air is so wet that my clothes won't dry when I hang them outside after a sweaty morning walk.  So, I turn a fan on them to encourage the process to reach completion.  When it actually rains, I think the air's drier--relieved to let go.    
It's Sunday now and I awoke from a nap to the sound of thunder and rainfall.  Ahhhhh, it's glorious! Monsoon season may have finally broken though whatever's kept it trapped in the air.  Hope so, for the sake of the river, crops and rice fields. 
 
HA!  It's true!  I checked my laundry hanging outside on the balcony--it's DRY.  
We're concluding summer break, here in Korea, and 
I've been off from teaching for 3 days and had time to prepare to leave.  How do I feel about it?  Honestly, rarely have my feelings been so torn.  I'll miss so many and so much here, but I keep promising myself I'll be back and mean it.  Further, my son's wedding, the disastrous situation that my current renter's creating, and several other things that need attending to, fill me w/a sense of longing and urgency to get back, which crowds in on the peace of finishing up my time here.  But the walks help with that.  When walking or teaching, I can really immerse myself "in the moment."  
My friend, Don, took this photo of these unusual berries for me.  
They look like some sort of craft store beads!
I've spent a lot of my time sorting and packing, 
cleaning the floor of my classroom and repainting part of the walls, compiling a list for my additions to Jordan and Karli's wedding invitations (I'm amazed at how many addresses I do not have), 
and hanging out with some friends.  
Went to the beach with Bharati and Don on Wednesday, towards the end of the day.  
I've not been here before, and the sand on my bare feet felt lovely.   We walked, watched the kids, families, tiny crabs and crossed this awesome footbridge.  Bharati and Don have a bit vacation time ahead of them, and they're spending it in Malaysia!  Wow!  
They're both delightful and I intend to keep in contact!
With her oldest son getting married in less than 2 weeks, my friend, Sherry Anderson, is going to the states for a couple of months.  She leaves tomorrow morning and I'll miss her.  
She surprised me with these 2 adorable, tiny teacups.  
She's my regular walking partner and 1st counselor in our little Relief Society organization. 
I've grown accustomed to talking about anything and everything with her...thank heavens for email!  The last time I left a foreign country I'd fallen in love with, there was no such thing.  
We went to Sacheon's nearby open market and 
ate a bunch of deep-fried shrimp, octopus, mandu and pajeon.
I remember discovering this food on an internet search when I was considering working in Korea.  I thought they looked delicious then and I wasn't disappointed!  Super spicy, the ones in the market.  Yum.  This is something I intend to practice making when I get back, but 
I'm going to try to add in some whole-wheat flour.
Last night was pizza and hang out with a couple of young brothers, Lee Gyum Jin and the local missionaries.  There were 5 pizzas for 6 of us, with no leftovers.  Ugh!  No, Carol, I'm not in the best shape ever, but the long walks help!  Anyway, Elder Massimini (I believe I've got that right?  It's an Italian name), is new to the area, plays the guitar and will fit right in!  
My contribution was a dinosaur puzzle and plastic frogs.  Both brothers loved 'em! :-)
I keep reminding myself that fascinating, funny and heart-warming kids and people are everywhere.  I believe and know that to be true.  But how I'll miss some of them here in Korea!!!



















3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written and so heart-felt. We're all going to miss these little stories, but can't wait for you to get home! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin! I've thought of you so often lately, remembering when you were prepping to go last year. So glad I met you before you left! You made the best tour guide and I will probably get to show my replacement around a bit! Cool, hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you MUST keep the stories coming, even if they're from Midvale. Thanks for the delightful inspirations, dear Joanna, and safe travel home!

    ReplyDelete