Friday, September 14, 2012

This and that, plus the Open Markets of Sacheon

Today is a catch up day. I need to blog about something, but mostly just wanting to relax, do laundry, school prep, emails and grocery shop a bit. We're expecting another typhoon tomorrow and I've already been to the open market for veggies and fruit. I haven't taken any photos of Sacheon's open market yet, but here's one I found from near by that I copy pasted from the web. I LOVE open markets! They're so eclectic and real--I bought green onions from a tiny little old woman crouched on the ground. That's all she was selling, so I bought from her. I bought peaches by handing 5,000 won ($4 something in dollars) to a lady who hand picked 3 of her best for me. Busan Pictures
This photo of Busan is courtesy of TripAdvisor Now I need more milk and diet coke--because I DO. For that I'll go to the Woori Mart, because they have both. Last week I visited Samcheonpo via a short bus trip to shop at the Home Plus store and wander around their open seafood market. I promise not to blog exclusively about food. I'm being boring, I know--just tired. Generally I don't sleep enough and there are a couple of classes which are giving me some real headaches at work. Other than that, life is grand, the food is delectable and I'm continually astonished by how beautiful the parks and walkways are. Got lost after an extra long walk this week, tho, and I'll be using a little more caution in the future. The mountains and old villages are only appealing when you know where you ARE.
I ended up on the wrong side of these mountains a few days ago and 3 hours later, thanks to a kindly couple (it seems Everyone knows where Top Mart in Sacheon is!) I came home safe and sound. While I don't know how to get back there, I found yet another Buddhist temple and another river to mistakenly follow, trying to get back to my cozy domicile.
But all's well, I got here and have been shown a gorgeous park near by that I need to bring my camera for and any number of other really cool Buddhist temples, pagodas, stone pots, streets.... But scenery is only a part of my life. I've got a few favorite students I'd like to photograph and write about next week. Sandy (I'll use the English names they give themselves for class) is, by far, the most colorful. I could see her as an assertive journalist, lobbyist or social advocate. Tiny little dynamo! So, starting next week, I want to start making a list of "who's who" in my world of teaching in Sacheon at Jungchul Academy.

5 comments:

  1. Most interesting! I love reading about your experiences! Thanks for including me in your blog invites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna, you paint such descriptive word pictures that the photos are merely a cherry atop the sundae! Looking forward to the next installment . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. 캄사함니다! Thanks and I really wish I could do justice to the visual feast of being here in Sacheon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post for a dear, almost 3 decade friend: "Can not seem to be able to reply via your 'blog' ... so here is what I would have posted ...

    Ni Hao from Chang'An Town / China ... ;-) ... you're doing a splendid job adjusting Joanna simply by getting out and 'finding' your way. Keep up the GREAT work ~ both for YOU, your students, and your friends & family! You will look back on these first steps with pride and joy = because YOU DID IT ...[ been there done that ] ... Your Forever Gal Pal ~ China K [ aka Karen ]"

    ReplyDelete
  5. And this from Abby: "I love that Koreans keep shops open late on The weekends because sometimes you can't get out until after dinner." I agree and love how late the grocery stores stay open and they're packed!

    ReplyDelete