Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chuseok, Korea's Thanksgiving

Today is Chuseok in Korea, or Thanksgiving. I'm not going to ineptly detail what you can more easily look up on your own. But this holiday is originally a Buddhist holiday, I believe, to celebrate the harvest and, more importantly, honor one's ancestors, without whom, no harvest is possible. It's a beautiful thing and I was lucky enough to snap this photo without the farmer noticing during one of my walks. The air is aromatically rich with the ripening scents of persimmons, rice and more...like manure, of course--bleh!
I have an American friend who walks with me periodically who's heading back to Texas for the birth of her 2nd grandaughter. I understand her eagerness to leave. It'd kill me to be away for such an event! As it is, I'm quietly homesick for the company of my 27 yr. old son and the rest of my family. Some of my students had assignments to write about and draw their families recently and I had to snap some photos of my favorite renderings, of which this is one.
And, quoting from an adolescent girl's essay book, "My parent are most precious. My parents help me. When I grow up, my parents will help me." An 11 year old writes on the same topic of what is most precious: "Family is very precious. But, I think...family is made from parents. Parents make a "we." Family is eternal...Do you love your family?" I've started saving some of these, to remind me of how lucky I am to be here meeting these developing youth in Korea, when I get too lonesome for my own family. I see teens walking around with their arms around parents and young fathers carrying toddlers on their shoulders. Sure, there are problems here, but there is love. In November, besides an important Presidential election, we'll celebrate Thanksgiving in America. Let's take the time to offer thanks for every form of harvest and honor our ancestors as well as the Creator, without Whom there would be nothing to celebrate!

4 comments:

  1. Joanna, your words are delightfully expressive and your photos lovely. Your first one from your walk reminds me of the rice paddies of Japan where I would walk near my friends home. Saudades--longings in Portuguese. Its a wonderful world of things to be grateful for. Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving and giving us a prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't mind, I can correct the fact of Chuseok for you. Each country(China, Japan, Korea) has its own thanksgiving. So Chuseok is Korean traditional one. Before we adopt Buddhism from China, we've already the fastive season named "Gawee"-Now we also call it 'Hangawee' in our original sound-. We thanked god for harvest and held the festival.
    As you know the origin of Japanese Chuseok 'Obon(?)' is from Buddhism.
    So both meanings are similar(like thanksgiving) but different.
    I'm so glad that you are interested in our culture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for correcting this and feel free to do so anytime! I understood that it was Korean, but I understood incorrectly about the Buddhist connection, which, of course, originates from China. Japan's primary religion is Shintoism, but they're heavily influenced by Buddhism also. The traditions of Buddhism are so wide spread, I picked up some misinformation about this holiday. Thanks again for the clarity, "Jack!"

    I'm spending part of the holiday with friends and part of it painting. I should finish the room tomorrow! :-) Hope you're enjoying your time off too and time with your family--as much as is possible, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely as always, Joanna! Thanks for sharing this delightful perspective--I love the details and photos you always provide. More later . . .

    ReplyDelete