Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lantern Festival and Mountain Hikes

Last night I went with my coworkers to the annual Lantern Festival, but forgot to bring my camera!! So, here's a link to one of the online travel sites until I get some copies of photos from other teachers. http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=1424536 We didn't get back from Jinju until 1:30ish and I crashed around 3 am, so a little out of it today. Ah--this one's actually a lot better! http://yudeung.com/10E_index.php Seriously, this is a festival not to be missed!! Also, my American friends and I went hiking into some nearby mountains twice this week during the Chuseok break. On Monday, October 1st, we went to a nearby rock on top of a relatively small mountain. Here's a fun shot of my friend Erin on top of it!
Now, we all climbed out onto it and basked in the view of the river and farmlands, but Erin made a grrreat model for that moment in time! On Wednesday, October 3rd, we drove out a bit further, parked at the base of this hiking spot (the name of which I don't recall, so I'll just upload a photo of the sign).
We encountered a variety of points of interest, including slugs the size of Abe Lincoln's fingers, a snake or 2 curled up in the path, an ice-cream vendor who hauls his product all the way to the top (YES, we had ice-cream from him!) and PAINTERS at work where we needed to go onto a footbridge between two mountain peaks! We couldn't believe the timing--painting during one of the busiest holidays around here, on dangerous pathways and bridges--at best, tricky to navigate. But here's a view from atop that bridge.
The views were spectacular!! Thanks to the knowledge and hospitality of Kenny and Sherry Anderson for making such a hike possible!! I'll miss them when they head back to Texas soon, and Erin's headed back to Baltimore, Maryland...

1 comment:

  1. Joanna: Beautiful Photos! A lot of reminders that trigger memories for me of some of the most isolated and beautiful sites I've seen over there. You are certainly getting the most out of your teaching adventure. I am so glad to know you are having such great experiences and creating positive and lasting memories of a section of our Lords Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete