Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fun Korea Stuff

Just got back from on a trip with my Hagwon to Gyeongju, which I'll write about next week. For now, since I'm wiped out, I decided to address what my American friends, (both of whom are leaving me to go back to the states this week!!) and I have discussed as specifically "Korean." That's a question. Plagued by repeated wars, Korea struggles for a clear identity. But, as I pass my 2 month anniversary in Sacheon, here's a few things which stand out to me. First, of all, EVERYONE, young or old, LOVES KIMCHI. That includes me, though not with the same level of passion. What's not to love? It's spicy and low in calories and a perfect complement for rice!
Also, coffee is a lot more popular than tea.
Coffee shops, modern or old fashioned, like the one above, are EVERYWHERE. Then there's the whole SOCK fetish. In every department store, open market and many street corners, you see little displays and stands like this:
I love that obsession and intend to bring home a lot of Korean socks. In fact, I doubt I'll bring back very many American articles of clothing if they can be replaced by something Korean (or made in China--I bought 3 scarves from a market that were simply resold from China). Tiny little shops like this stationary store aren't just in Korea, I imagine, but I adore this one in Busan. I'll use the stationary I bought there for the few letters I get around to sending out. It's fabulously crammed full, with stacks of this and that in every conceivable space.
Korean chopsticks and the accompanying long-handled spoon are distinct to this country. Made of metal and shiny, they are lovely. I am learning to eat out of the communal dishes set out at the table, both in restaurants and in the academy where I eat dinner every night (because our director cooks!). Also, there are foods to combine and others NOT to mix, and it's important to keep the soup bowl on the correct side of one's rice dish. I'm learning by watching.
Some other odds and ends--toilet paper is used in place of paper towells at meals and used TP is generally stashed in a waste basket beside the toilet, not flushed. Garbage is sorted into recyclables and regular trash. Both are just left out in the appropriate plastic bags on a corner near your house to be picked up. Floors are heated in the winter instead of furnaces (I'll try that out soon), and hot water doesn't come from a hot water heater, it's heated as needed. Oh yes, and another random item of note--if dog meat is eaten around here, I'd be extremely surprised. Small dogs are plentiful and more obedient than most American dogs.
Depending on what happens and how long I stay, I'm seriously considering asking if I can keep a small dog in my apartment next year. I miss my Gideon so...but cats seem to exist as wild things to catch rodents. It's sad--I've never gotten close enough to pet one.

2 comments:

  1. My best friend, Aimee, and I have started writing letters to one another (and other friends). Since letters are so much more personable than emails (if you live close enough to send a letter, that is!) And she's been lamenting the fact that we cannot seem to find decent stationary anywhere! (When I was ten or so, I recall getting my first set of stationary from Hallmark ... it seems they no longer put effort into selling paper and matching envelopes now, only packages of cards).
    Totally love that chopstick set! (My husband is obsessed with chopsticks and owns six to ten pairs, we're always collecting more here and there!). He actually eats popcorn w/hot sauce and chopsticks!
    Socks! I love those socks! A few years ago, a friend of mine recommended website called SockDreams (the brick and mortar store is located in Oregon or Seattle WA, somewhere up north). But I think most of the socks they sell are imported from Japan, Korea, etc. That's so awesome that you can just hit an open air market and buy something so unique and cute!
    You should SO get a little dog - and totally name it Goliath or something. All little dogs seem to have BIG personalities. At least the ones I've met do. (And the one we own, does. He's a rescue, shy around people, but not shy around other dogs ... and a touch of a bully to his big sister, Mei-Mei, which is sadly funny because he is literally half her size and weight ... he thinks he can make up for in tenacity what he lacks in stature ... but that seems to not be the case during their tug of war games where he gets dragged across the floor!)
    Loving your updates. Keep writing them! Love to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that we could chat w/our poochies...Gideon knew all too well what you mean by the tenacity of little dogs! I love all muts, big and small, and am thinking I will look into it next year, either just before I go home or if I decide to sign up for another year here. Fun fact about your hubby and I'm planning on bringing a bunch of socks home w/me! Come visit me in Utah and claim a pair, k? xoxo!

    ReplyDelete