Sunday, October 28, 2012

Gyeongju notes and Seoul's LDS temple trip!

It was a 20 hour trip in total. I began the journey with some faithful members of my Church nearby at around 9:30 pm. Already exhausted following the previous weekend's trip to Gyeongju, and then hanging out with my 2 home-bound American friends all week, plus, of course, my job, I was less than excited to go. But, who could say no to a temple trip to Seoul? Well--our aged driver also seemed to be rather sleep deprived. So our adventure took on a whole new dynamic as we lurched, braked eratically, and wove over traffic lanes...I watched in horror as cars dodged us. My prayers were more direct and sincere than usual all the way to Seoul. We did arrive in one piece at about 3:00 am, 90 minutes later than the trip usually takes. The "dorms" where we slept until it was our turn to enter the temple, consisted of floors to stretch out on and snooze or, if you're a kid, play hide and seek. No one but me was surprised by this. Before I joined the others in attempting to rest, I walked alone around the darkened temple. That was the quiet payoff for me--a small edifice, the temple was never-the-less, regally dignified and peaceful. I slept through both actual temple sessions. During our long journey home, which stretched from 4 into 6 hours, since the same sleepy old guy was driving, 2 very patient and wise men sat close behind him and started chatting w/the guy every time the bus started wandering across lanes (which it did frequently). I imagine I will try the trip again, since I'm Relief Society President in my tiny branch, but not for a couple of months and NOT without a different driver!! Now about Gyeoungju...it's everything everyone says it is, and more...happily, our director rented bicycles for us the first day. I've not been on one a bike in over 20 years, but had a blast! The weather was picture perfect and we all acted like overgrown kids, even when a flat tire required extra time to wrap up the day!
I could include a bunch of classic shots, since we stopped at so many amazing places and I DID get some memorable photos, including a 1000 year old forest,
the AMAZING Bulguksa Temple, Anapji Pond and the National Museum,
but I'm sure the internet is also for that. Instead, meet equally amazing people, starting with my co-workers. Using their American names, as we use at the JC Academy, here's Christine in the middle of flowers in the Wolseoung Fortress, and then Haley and Olivia perched like tree nymphs in the 1000 year old Gyerim Forest.
Jack takes more pictures than anyone, but had me take a photo of him by this stone statue--his eyes are closed like the statue's:
Finally, here's one of the whole gang on the grass in front of the tombs of kings and queens of Park Hyeokgeose.
I used up all the memory in my phone the morning of the 2nd day because I was so fascinated by every inch of the places we visited. Rather than snap a lot of photos which are already famous, I was mesmerized by angles, corners and nooks like this one, where nature, planning and architecture come together so beautifully:
Or this spot where Autumn added magic to an already enchanted old wall:
Here's another shot of Haley and Olivia in the middle of one of many old streets.
I purchased a small handmade sprouting pot from this lady artist at the base of the Gameunsa Temple ruins site:
Her work's amazing and I wish she lived closer to me! Having taken 2 pottery classes at BYU, I'd love to try to learn from her and buy more...
Another highlite of the trip, was Yong Bu-Choe. An elderly gentleman with impecable English speaking skills (despite never having traveled to America!!), asked if I'd like to hear a story about the ancient house of Choe we were visiting--everyone gathered around to hear the rules of what it took to make a great household stay great, including words of wisdom like not allowing anyone within 100 kilometers of your home to go hungry and making sure a new daughter-in-law wears only cotton for the first 3 years of marriage. I got his card and we all got a photo with this amazing man. Soft spoken and articulate, we were in awe of him. Finally, I noticed a father kissing his son near the underwater tomb of the Great King Munmu, and got him to repeat the act a half dozen times and will close with what my camera captured--which is at the heart of all that's best, not only in South Korea, but every warm, happy, spot on this Earth.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna
    Your adventures make me miss Hong Kong. I loved my time in Korea when Jerry was working and I got to tour around without him. The only comment I have about your blog is you need to be in some of the pictures.

    Have fun
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Joanna! You are an artist at recognizing and zeroing in on poignant essentials . . . . Do find a new bus driver! ;-)

    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna:
    Beautiful pics! I love seeing the landscape, shops and bustling little cities. Brings back a lot of memories...

    Have you tried the Calamari over there yet? The best Calamari I've ever tasted was in S. Korea. You can buy it just about everywhere -- dried or deep-fried. However, steamed and/or boiled Calamari Rings over rice (if spiced properly) are true delicacies; a wonderful dish which I've only found in Korea.

    A short note from one of your previous Blogs: Even if you don't see it occuring, you can be certain dog meat is being sold in the local open markets. The merchants who sell dog meat hide their supply when a tourist; an American; a European; (or anyone who does not look or act like a "local") is seen entering or even nearing the market area. It goes back to when the Olympics were hosted by Seoul, S. Korea. All merchants who sell dog meat had to comply to a strict directive making it a crime (misdemeanor) to sell or even display dog meat to non Koreans. They were well aware of S. Korea's reputation for eating dog and wanted to off-set that reputation. Cosequently, an undercurrent of paranoia remains over openly displaying dog meat merchandise.

    Something to think about for future Blog Entries ~~ It would be nice to see YOU in some of the future pics. Everytime you post an entry, Jackie and I look forward to seeing you reveling in your new-found "Wonder Land" of an environment. Please give it some serious thought.

    Elder & Sister Campbell

    ReplyDelete