Sunday, September 16, 2012

Typhoons in Sacheon

So, obviously, I'm not going out to try to take pictures. I found this image on line from a recent typhoon and it pretty accurately depicts what I believe is going on out there. This is my 2nd typhoon, since arriving in Sacheon and in the time span of just a couple weeks. The last one got us to cancel school for a day (no small thing around here), but, at least where I live, it didn't get too terrible. Other, surrounding areas, weren't so lucky. I did see trees uprooted, afterwards and pushed over here and there with what appeared to be some malignantly playful finger of a giant. The rivers and canals were at least quadrupled in depth and rapidity of flow. It was quite exciting and I was grateful that, from what I could observe, none of the surrounding farmlands were seriously, or irreparably damaged. But I'm curious about what today will hold. The noise of the wind outside is such that I couldn't place the sound at first. There's more rainfall with this typhoon too and yet, we're still not w/o power, so I've decided to make a note of this while I can. Funny thing about these things is their unpredictability. Will there be sunshine this afternoon or will things get uglier? No idea. For now, I'm safely tucked inside my little home, boiling eggs for lunch later, sorting through lesson materials for the week and watching reruns of The West Wing with from an online source out of the UK, heaven bless them! For those of you who know me, I'm politically very conservative, but I LOVE this show and I adore C.J. Cregg! http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2155260416/tt0200276

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I just looked out one of the windows in the hallway and the yard next to us is pretty heavily flooded in that the bicycles are 1/2 submerged. Nothing to make major media coverage, but thinking that perhaps I won't be teaching today...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really not worried since the school has housed me on the 2nd floor of a brand new apt. building. It's very solid and I'm high up enough not to worry about flooding, as well as low enough not to worry about wind, which, off and on, sounds remarkably similar to a snow plow from here.
    It's a slightly freaky combo of unnerving and cozy.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Lisa Birch
    12:34 PM

    Well that all sounds very familiar- we lived in south Florida during the 2005 & 2006 hurricane seasons (Katrina, Wilma, a couple of others I can't remember). I think there were a total of 3 or 4 big ones that shut down school and work. I thought it was exciting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna: Just think about the troops hunkered down in the surrounding hills trying to keep the water and wind from getting all the way to their bones! I've been through a couple of those settings while doing joint forces maneuvers with South Korean Special Forces. Not fun at all; but you do what you can to endure!! Sounds like a nice setting you have. Enjoy the cozy comfort of your humble abode, stay warm and take a nap. :)

    ReplyDelete